Sunday, July 21, 2013

5 UNFORTUNATE FACTS ABOUT LIPSTICK


I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  It is so freaking hard to wear lipstick almost all the time and yet I don't really hear anyone else complaining about it.  My older sister used to tell me that lipgloss was for girls and lipstick was for women.  (Which am I at 22?)  Anyway, lipgloss has always bequeathed to me one problem: that of the wind and the blowing hair.  Lipsticks, my preferred method of lacquer has several, slightly less detrimental, but equally annoying problems.

1. It is near impossible to eat lunch food with a bright color on my lips.  I want to keep the pigment on my lips and off of my sandwich, bagel, or (insert complicated food item here).  This is quite a difficult problem to overcome unless you are comfortable holding your lips away from your food while you eat, and that's just silly.

2. How do I get it to go on evenly?  If I moisturize right before applying, the color doesn't soak in enough and my lips look greasy.  If I don't moisturize my lips become too dry which leads me to my third problem.

3. Sometimes my lips peel when they get dry and then the color comes right off with it.  There is nothing worse than pink, red, or purple lip skin coming loose.  Don't even pretend it doesn't happen to you.

4. How do you kiss with lipstick on?  My man friend and I have developed a system of the lightest lip graze ever when he sees my lips a little less naked than usual.  But what if I feel really passionate and want to throw myself on top of him?  I could wipe my lips off first (r.i.p. beautiful lips), or I could just smush my lips onto his and get it on both of us (r.i.p beautiful lips).  

5. The red pigment in lipstick is made from cochineal insects.  This is not actually that big of a deal, however, when you consider that far worse ingredients are consumed when eating... just about anything.

This hasn't been a very educational post (it's really just downright complaining), but then again a little perspective on the crazy stuff we paint on our faces can be nice too.

Got any lipstick suggestions?  I want them all!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments:

Paula said...

LMAO at this post!
I hardly ever wear lippy because I feel like I look too posh - but I find that what type of lippy you use really makes a difference! Revlon colorstay is good - especially in matt - but still eating, kissing, etcetera etcetera seems to work it off... grr! Men don't have these philosophical problems!
Wow - I didn't solve your problems either - sorry!
PS - I came across you blog on IFB and am now following - keep up the good work :-)

♥ Paula Shoe Fiend.
http://shoe-fiend.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

Thank you! So nice to have a blogging friend :) I'm now following you as well!

Unknown said...

Eeew, yes I'm with you on the grossness of lipstick ingredients. Thank goodness we've moved on from whale blubber, but how is it that we still use lead? Yuck.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/02/15/whats-in-your-lipstick-fda-finds-lead-in-400-shades/